Saturday 3 November 2012

Keyboard Key Brooch


Are you a computer geek? Perhaps you know a computer geek. Or maybe you just think that keyboard keys are cool.

I have a bag of keyboard keys, because I think they can look cool (and I’d like to be a computer geek, but I don’t have the brains). They came from various defunct keyboards and although I’ve collected them up with different projects in mind, this brooch happened:

Pacifist Geek Chic?

On top of a new pile of keyboard keys, I acquired a bit of circuit board from a broken ‘computer thingamy’ (I think it was a keypad of some kind, but it came to me with stuff broken off and no housing, so I’m not sure).

Here’s how to make a little keyboard key brooch of your own.


You’ll need:
Keyboard keys
Backing for brooch (I used a piece of circuit board)
Brooch back
Strong glue
Cutters or a small saw
Sandpaper



1. Prepare your brooch base by cutting it to size. Depending on what you use, you might need to smooth the edges and corners with sandpaper (I did).



2. Cut the backs off the keys if needed, so that they will lie flat on an even surface. Keys from laptop keyboards tend to already lay flat as they don’t have the same shape at the back.



3. Position and glue your keys onto the brooch base.
My options were ‘End War’ or ‘Insert Pie’. I went for the more important message! Of course, you could just choose random keys instead, or a name, etc.



4. Glue brooch back to the back of the brooch base.



5. Leave to dry according to the instructions on your glue.


Will be linking up to the parties listed below :)

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I might do this coz we had old keyboards at home. You're so creative! misselayneousthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing at The Blackberry Vine!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...