Saturday 16 January 2016

Crystal & Thread Choker DIY

 

Today I want to share this crystal and thread choker, which I made recently.

Most of the crystal pieces I make use bold colours, but this time I wanted to go for something a that incorporated cool tones, for more of a wintry look.

This is a really simple DIY and you don't need any jewellery-making skills to do it!



You'll need:
Plain metal choker/collar
Small crystals (I used quartz)
Embroidery thread in chosen colours
Strong glue (I used E6000)
Scissors
Optional: Tape measure



1. Find the centre of the choker (measure it or eyeball it). Choose crystals to fit the space and then glue them on.
If your glue takes a while to dry, prop the choker up on something to stop the crystals sliding/falling off before the glue has set.
When the centre crystals are firmly stuck, leave a gap either side and add more crystals. Glue and leave to dry, as before.
You could repeat this all the way around the choker. I just decorated the front.


2. Leaving a couple of inches spare, wrap the first colour of embroidery thread around the collar, starting next to the crystals and continuing until 1/3 of the way to the next set of crystals. Knot the ends at the back.



3. Repeat step 2 with the second colour, then with the first colour again. Fill in the gap on the other side of the choker the same way. And then you're done!

Note:
Though the glue may be touch dry, it's usually advisable to leave your project for 24 hours before use. (I've learnt this the hard way when I glued together a hair clip, used it because I thought it was dry, and later discovered it was stuck in my hair!)



If you like the idea of this choker but would prefer less embroidery thread and more crystals, check out my Amethyst Collar DIY...

You can find other jewellery tutorials for all abilities under my jewellery tag! :)

1 comment:

  1. This is so pretty! Love the colors. Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial at Talk of the Town.

    ReplyDelete

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...